MUSC’s Severe Weather Plan for Students
Important Hurricane Information!
Everyone should make a personal hurricane plan in order to be adequately prepared in case a storm threatens our coast. Additionally, students must understand their roles and responsibilities as a student of the Medical University when a hurricane approaches.
The complete MUSC Severe Weather Plan and info on hurricane planning, recovery and safety can be found on the web at www.musc.edu/weatheremergency
Here is a brief summary of MUSC’s Severe Weather Plan:
Class & Clinical Rotation Cancellation
• The decision to cancel classes and rotations will be made by the Provost. This announcement will be made as far in advance of the predicted event as possible.
• Information regarding class/rotation cancellation will be made available through MUSC’s info line (792-MUSC), internet home page (under the red alert button), broadcast email system, and local TV and radio stations.
Evacuation & Personal Safety
• If classes are cancelled and a mandatory evacuation is called, students will not be allowed to stay ANYWHERE on campus.
• Make your personal evacuation plan now (route to follow and place to go).
• If you will not be able to evacuate yourself to a safe location, notify your college’s dean’s office now. When classes are cancelled and an evacuation called, report to Room 100 of the Basic Science Building with personal items needed for a shelter stay (see www.musc.edu/weatheremergency). From there, you will be transported to a community shelter and returned to campus when the danger passes.
Class & Clinical Rotation Resumption
• The Provost will determine when scheduled classes and rotations will resume.
• Information regarding class/rotation resumption will be made available through MUSC’s info line (792-MUSC), internet home page (under the red alert button), and broadcast email system.